Make the first day on the job easy on everyone.
- Let your current employees know what is happening. Giving everyone some time to think about and discuss working with someone from another country can help them avoid awkward reactions when a new Canadian shows up for his or her first day at work.
- Assign your new employee a buddy who is responsible for showing them around and introducing them to people when they first start.
- Provide placement support and direction – help the new employee find housing, navigate the community, and tap into local cultural agencies.
- Establish policies around inclusion and share them with your current employees.
The opportunities in HR have to be part of the business plan.
– David Lau, Executive Director, Victoria Immigrant & Refugee Centre